Community Education Program
The Virginia Living Museum Community Education Program allows complimentary admission to the VLM for a one-day educational visit. Requesting organizations must be classified as a non-profit charitable organization and be located within a 60 mile radius of the Museum. Program requests will be considered for either Group Visitation or Individual Passes and are based on the below guidelines as funding is available.
Group Pass Requests
Group Requests for complimentary visitation will be considered from non-profit organizations serving low-income or disabled children/adults in the Hampton Roads area. Scholarships will be awarded to groups of up to 22 people (20 children/adults and 2 chaperones can be accommodated).
Instructions for requesting Group Admission passes:
- Group requests from non-profit organizations that serve low-income children/families or children/adults with disabilities are accepted on a rolling basis as funding is available.
- The requesting organization must submit a formal request online. Information that is required:
- Name, address, phone number and contact person for the organization.
- 501 c 3 number.
- A brief description of the organization and mission statement.
- Describe the nature of the visit and what purpose it would serve for the organization and its constituents.
- If the organization knows what date they would like to attend the VLM, they are advised to include that date, but it is not guaranteed.
- The number of tickets requested for adults and children (up to the 20 ticket limit.) Additional tickets will be charged at the VLM’s group rate of $19 for adults and $14 for children.
- If the organization is approved by the Program, an acceptance letter will be sent to the listed contact person by email.
Once approved, the organization MUST:
- Contact the VLM Reservations Office to schedule their visit. 757-595-1900 x 229.
- Bring the acceptance letter to the Museum on the date of their visit.
- Write a letter thanking the sponsor indicated on their acceptance letter.
Individual Pass Requests
Individual Pass Requests for complimentary visitation will be considered from non-profit organizations in the Hampton Roads area. The VLM Community Education Program supports local community organizations that are supporting a local cause. The VLM will provide a maximum of two (2) admission tickets per organization during each year (July 1-June 30) to schools, churches and non-profit organizations within a 60 mile radius of the Museum. Requests are approved on a case-by-case basis. Due the large volume of requests, the VLM cannot provide free admission tickets for national organizations fundraising efforts (ex. American Cancer Society, Arthritis Foundation, March of Dimes, etc.).
Instructions for requesting Individual Complimentary passes:
- Request must be in writing, on letterhead of the organization.
- Request must include the name, address and phone number of the organization.
- Include a brief description of the organization or mission statement.
- Include the date and type of event for the request.
- How will the tickets be used?
- Name of person making the request, phone number, email address.
- Requests will be processed the first Wednesday of each month. Please keep this in mind when sending your request. Approved requests will be notified by email/mail.
- Passes may be picked up at the Museum, or if a self-addressed stamped envelope is provided, the passes will be mailed.
Virginia Living Museum
524 J. Clyde Morris Blvd.
Newport News, VA 23601