The exhibits in the Virginia Living Museum were designed to correlate with and reinforce Virginia’s Standards of Learning for Science. While taking a tour of the geographic regions of Virginia, families can observe:
- Live animals and plants in their natural habitats
- Plant and animal life cycles, food chains and food webs
- Animal survival adaptations for finding food and shelter, rearing young, avoiding predators, defensive measures
- Animal migration, camouflage and hibernation
- Endangered and threatened species
- Vertebrates and invertebrates
- The importance of conserving Virginia’s animal, plant and mineral resources
- Pond, forest, stream, Chesapeake Bay, cypress swamp, mountain cove, cave and more habitats
- Virginia’s prehistoric past: rocks, minerals, fossils
- Phases of the moon, reasons for the seasons, earth’s revolution and rotation, planets in our solar system
To assist homeschool families, the Museum offers FREE grade-level-targeted guides to its living exhibits to help children focus during their visit. All questions are correlated to Virginia SOLs and national science standards.
Homeschool Days- Fall 2020
The Virginia Living Museum offers homeschool programs for all ages (Pre-K through 12) with monthly 45 minute programs. Each program will be limited to eight family groups so everyone attending must register at once. Class price includes Museum admission.
NOTE: As classes fill due to limited COVID-19 capacity, additional times and dates will be added to accommodate all of our homeschool families. Please register early if you intend to join in on the fun!
The Homeschool Days schedule for Fall 2020 are as follows:
- Sept 23 10am(SOLD OUT) and 12noon(SOLD OUT) and a 2:00pm – Title: Reptile Lifestyle More Information Here
- Oct 28 10am – Title: Animals of Halloween: Lore and Legends More Information Here
- Nov 18 10am(SOLD OUT) and 12noon – Title: I Need My Space! More Information Here
- Dec 16 10am – Title: Winter in the Water More Information Here
Child classroom program and admission: $10.50 for VLM Members/$15.00 for Non-members
Adult classroom program and admission: Free for VLM Members/$18.00 for Non-members
Self-Guided Visit only: for Non-Members $10.00 per child/$18.00 per adult
Self-Guided Visit: VLM Members: Free (Ages 2 years and under: Free)
Please note: Only Blank Guides are available online. Answer keys are available at the Museum’s front desk.
Project Feeder WatchHomeschool Packet
The Museum offers homeschool families special discount pricing for its “Museum in a Trunk” Discovery Boxes. Choose from nine exciting topics. Each topic is developed thematically and contains natural history specimens and artifacts from the Museum’s collections for hands-on use by students, as well as activities, audiovisual materials, student and parent resource information and much more. Save more money by sharing Discovery Boxes with other homeschool families. To reserve a Discovery Box for homeschool use, please call 757-595-9135 or complete our online form.Read about the Discovery Boxes
|7-day Rental||Pickup and Return at the VLM||$100|
|3-day Rental||Pickup and Return at the VLM||$65|