The exhibits in the Virginia Living Museum were designed to correlate with and reinforce Virginia’s Standards of Learning for Science. While taking a tour of the geographic regions of Virginia, families can observe:
- Live animals and plants in their natural habitats
- Plant and animal life cycles, food chains and food webs
- Animal survival adaptations for finding food and shelter, rearing young, avoiding predators, defensive measures
- Animal migration, camouflage and hibernation
- Endangered and threatened species
- Vertebrates and invertebrates
- The importance of conserving Virginia’s animal, plant and mineral resources
- Pond, forest, stream, Chesapeake Bay, cypress swamp, mountain cove, cave and more habitats
- Virginia’s prehistoric past: rocks, minerals, fossils
- Phases of the moon, reasons for the seasons, earth’s revolution and rotation, planets in our solar system
To assist homeschool families, the Museum offers FREE grade-level-targeted guides to its living exhibits to help children focus during their visit. All questions are correlated to Virginia SOLs and national science standards.
The Virginia Living Museum offers homeschool students grades K through 12 a day of fun and engaging programs that highlight important natural and space science concepts. Programs are available for grades K-4. A lab about pond life is available for grades 5-12. All programs are curriculum and grade-level targeted and taught by the museum’s professional educators. All programs include a self-guided visit of museum exhibits and are offered at a discount to homeschool families. Admission is $14 for adults accompanying homeschool students on the visit. For homeschool students taking the self-guided visit with no programs, admission is $9 (ages 3-18).
The Homeschool Morning schedule and registration dates are as follows:
March 2, 2018 (Registration opens on February 2 at 9am, and Registration closes on February 28 at 4:30pm.)Homeschool Day March 2
Please note: Only Blank Guides are available online. Answer keys are available at the Museum’s front desk.
Project Feeder WatchHomeschool Packet
The Museum offers homeschool families special discount pricing for its “Museum in a Trunk” Discovery Boxes. Choose from ten exciting topics. Save more money by sharing Discovery Boxes with other homeschool families. To reserve a Discovery Box for homeschool use, please call 757-595-9135 or complete our online form.
|7-day Rental||Pickup and Return at the VLM||$90|
|3-day Rental||Pickup and Return at the VLM||$60|