The exhibits in the Virginia Living Museum were designed to correlate with and reinforce Virginia’s Standards of Learning for Science. While taking a tour of the geographic regions of Virginia, families can observe:
- Live animals and plants in their natural habitats
- Plant and animal life cycles, food chains and food webs
- Animal survival adaptations for finding food and shelter, rearing young, avoiding predators, defensive measures
- Animal migration, camouflage and hibernation
- Endangered and threatened species
- Vertebrates and invertebrates
- The importance of conserving Virginia’s animal, plant and mineral resources
- Pond, forest, stream, Chesapeake Bay, cypress swamp, mountain cove, cave and more habitats
- Virginia’s prehistoric past: rocks, minerals, fossils
- Phases of the moon, reasons for the seasons, earth’s revolution and rotation, planets in our solar system
To assist homeschool families, the Museum offers FREE grade-level-targeted guides to its living exhibits to help children focus during their visit. All questions are correlated to Virginia SOLs and national science standards.
Please note: Only Blank Guides are available online. Answer keys are available at the Museum’s front desk.
The Homeschool Morning schedule and registration dates are as follows:
September 29 (Registration opens on August 29 at 9am, and Registration closes on September 27 at 4:30pm.) Course offerings and registration information.
December 1 (Registration opens on November 1 at 9am, and Registration closes on November 29 at 4:30pm.)
March 2 (Registration opens on February 2 at 9am, and Registration closes on February 28 at 4:30pm.)
To register, please call 757-595-9135.
The Museum offers homeschool families special discount pricing for its “Museum in a Trunk” Discovery Boxes. Choose from ten exciting topics. Save more money by sharing Discovery Boxes with other homeschool families. To reserve a Discovery Box for homeschool use, please call 757-595-9135 or complete our online form.
|7-day Rental||FedEx Home Delivery & Pickup||$125.00|
|7-day Rental||Pickup and Return at the VLM||$90|
|3-day Rental||Pickup and Return at the VLM||$60|