Virginia Living Museum Operating Policies for Caterers
- All food must be prepared by a licensed caterer. If not on file with Virginia Living Museum, caterer must provide copy of license to the Event and Tourism Manager.
- The event sponsor must arrange a meeting at the Museum between the sponsor, caterer, and the Museum contact person at least two weeks prior to the event. Arrangements for the event, including set-up of equipment, scheduling of delivery and removal of rental items must be cleared in advance with the Museum contact person.
- The VLM does not provide staff to service buffet lines, set-up or breakdown of catering equipment. This is the responsibility of the caterer. Food, non-museum tables and chairs and linens should also be arranged through caterer at client’s expense. Caterer or vendor is responsible for non-museum item set-up.
- Use of rental space in specific “behind the scenes” staging areas beginning at 3:00pm on the day of the event and 2 hours of takedown at the conclusion of the event are permitted. Set-up within the Museum cannot occur until after the Museum closes. Any additional time needed for takedown, rehearsal, and any activity related to the event will be billed at $200 per hour.
- An alcoholic beverage permit is required and must be obtained by the caterer or the client and displayed at the event.
- The Museum is not responsible for any equipment delivered to, or picked up from the Museum for the event. All such equipment must be removed from the Museum by 9:00am the first business day after the event unless other arrangements have been made. Storage space is limited and any catering items that are delivered must arrive the day of the event.
- Large catering equipment, such as grills or ovens must be approved by the Museum. Grills and ovens must be used outside near the staff entry area. Extension cords can be provided for this area.
- On the lower level of the Museum, an ice machine and sink are available for use. Additional areas can be discussed.
- Clean up and removal of all trash, decorations, and floral arrangements is the responsibility of the user and/or the vendors. The Museum staff will assist with set-up of trash containers and removal of trash.
- All tables and areas used by the caterer and or vendor must be wiped clean.
- Please notify VLM staff of any spills or stains.
Compliance with these policies and the others stated in the caterer’s operating policy is required for the reimbursement of the client’s security deposit.