Job Description: Bookkeeper
Do you have a passion for making connections and creating memorable experiences for guests? Do you want to work for an organization that positively influences and educates the lives of others, a place that believes in conservation and sustaining the environment, a place where you are building a better future for you and your community? If the answer is yes, then the Virginia Living Museum has a placed for you! We are looking for an enthusiastic, hardworking, mission driven person to join our Finance Team as a Bookkeeper!
Status: Full Time, Non-Exempt
General Statement of Duties
The Bookkeeper is responsible for executing the Museums accounting procedures and processes. This position recognizes the capacity to achieve greater results by integrating skilled volunteers, leveraging their diverse knowledge and skills. The Bookkeeper reports to the Finance Director.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 3 years experience in corporate accounting, specializing in job costing and cost allocation.
- Three years of QuickBooks experience.
- Solid understanding of accounting fundamentals, principles and standard operating procedures.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Strong Microsoft office experience.
- Self-motivated with minimum supervision, detail oriented, and highly organized.
- Ability to make relatively complex business math computations quickly and accurately.
- Sound judgement and demonstrates discretion, discernment and full confidentiality.
- Ability to make sound data driven decisions.
Duties and Responsibilities: Finance
- Be a positive enthusiastic representative of the Virginia Living Museum.
- Protects assets by following all internal controls.
- Provides status of Museum financial condition by collecting, interpreting and reporting key data to Finance Director.
- Processes Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable process.
- Assists with preparation of monthly financial statements, annual budget, and annual audit.
- Reconciles monthly bank statements for multiple accounts.
- Ensure regular deposits are made and appropriate change is available.
- Prepares and enters Journal Entries.
- Completes Credit Applications for new vendors.
- Manages the museum credit cards.
- Maintain Petty Cash fund for museum.
- Pay monthly sales/use tax.
- Files annual 1099 forms.
- Renew annual business license and leases.
- Other duties as assigned.
Essential Job Requirements
- Ability to work occasional evenings/weekends.
- Must be able to hear and speak clearly.
- Physical requirements include medium work, must be able to lift 30lbs.
- Must be able to stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, reach, push, pull, lift, grasp, feel, and utilize repetitive motions.
- Must have close visual acuity to perform activities such as: preparing and analyzing data, transcribing, viewing a computer, and extensive reading.
Supervision Exercised: None
Qualified applicants please submit VLM application, cover letter, resume, and references. No phone calls, please.
Mail: Human Resources
Virginia Living Museum
524 J. Clyde Morris Blvd
Newport News, VA 23601
Download VLM application