Job Description: Custodian
Status: Part-Time, Non- Exempt, 29 hours or less/ Week (on-site)
General Statement of Duties
The Custodian cleans the facility to include (but is not limited to) washrooms, meeting rooms, offices, carpet, flooring, furniture, walls and toilets in order to provide a safe and healthy facility. This position recognizes the capacity to achieve greater results by integrating skilled volunteers and leveraging their diverse knowledge and abilities. The custodian reports directly to the Senior Director of Life Support Systems and Construction.
- Proven experience as custodian, janitor or in a similar role
- High school diploma is preferred but not required
- Knowledge of use and maintenance of industrial cleaning equipment and appliances
- Knowledge of safe disposal of chemical liquids and other hazardous components
- Attention to detail and conscientiousness
- Very good physical condition and strength
- Experience with stripping, waxing and buffing floors.
- Ability to work with limited supervision
Duties and Responsibilities
- Be a positive, enthusiastic representative of the Virginia Living Museum
- Maintain floors, including but not limited to clean, mop, and vacuum
- Maintain all restrooms in clean, sanitary condition restock paper and soap supplies.
- Clean all glass, plexiglass, woodwork, doors, walls, counters & furniture
- High/low dusting
- Empty trash and recycling cans and clean as needed
- Keep all entrances and exits clear of trash and debris
- Maintain cleanliness of light fixtures, sills, water fountains, exhibit signage.
- Keep custodial closets in a clean, orderly state and store equipment and supplies in a safe manner.
- Engage and oversee custodial volunteers in completion of duties
- Quickly and appropriately respond to cleanliness mishaps while guests are present.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as assigned.
Essential Job Requirements
- Ability to work occasional evenings and rotating weekends.
- Ability of understand verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to understand and follow safety procedures in regards to equipment, supplies, & chemicals.
- Physical requirements include medium work, exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Physical work is a primary part of this position.
- Must be able stand for extended periods of time and move about on foot to accomplish tasks.
- Must be able to stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, reach, push, pull, lift, grasp, feel, and utilize repetitive motions.
- Must be able to safely remove bodily waste.
- Work may involve moderate exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises.
Supervision Exercised: None
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee.
The Custodian will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other related duties as
assigned by the appropriate Supervisor/Director. The Virginia Living Museum reserves the right to update, revise
or change the job description and related duties at any time.
Qualified applicants please submit a VLM application, cover letter, resume and references.
No phone calls, please.