Development Associate – Special Events
Full-Time, Exempt, 37.5 hours/week (on-site)
General Statement of Duties:
Under the supervision of the Development Director, The Development Associate- Special Events is responsible for the planning and successful implementation of the Museum’s Fundraising events and donor cultivation events. As a key member of the Museum’s Development team, this position works closely with volunteer committees, internal staff, local corporations and vendors to produce successful events. This position recognizes the capacity to achieve greater results by integrating skilled volunteers and leveraging their diverse knowledge and abilities.
- Results oriented and productive in a fast-paced environment
- Clear understanding of the role of philanthropy to the mission of the VLM
- Minimum 2 years of development or related experience; bachelor’s degree is preferred
- Proven success in Event Management, preferably within a non-profit organization
- Exceptional interpersonal and organizational skills
- Strong attention to detail, excellent time management skills, ability to multi-task
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Work schedule flexibility required for occasional early morning, evening and weekend activities to include onsite and off-site meetings, training and fundraising events.
Duties and Responsibilities:
With the Development Director, oversee major fundraising events & donor cultivation events:
- Manage annual fundraising events to meet set fundraising goals and budgets to maximize revenue.
- Identify and manage event logistics, volunteers, staff, create programs and follow up.
- Manage fundraising event committees
- Cultivation and solicitation of various funding sources to include sponsorships
- Coordinate all correspondence, invitations, RSVPs, menus, and presentations
- Act as liaison between staff & outside organizations for events
- Supports, trains and coaches staff and volunteers for special events
- Foster positive culture of philanthropy with entire Museum staff
- Performs other duties as assigned
Essential Job Requirements
- Ability to work occasional evenings/weekends
- Must be able to express or exchange ideas by means of the spoken word and perceive detailed information through oral communication as well as have the ability to make the discriminations in sound.
- Physical requirements include medium work, exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Must be able stand for extended periods of time and move about on foot to accomplish tasks.
- Must be able to stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, reach, push, pull, lift, grasp, feel, and utilize repetitive motions.
- Must have close visual acuity to operate a motor vehicle and perform activities such as: preparing and analyzing data, transcribing, viewing a computer, and extensive reading.
- The position is subject to environmental conditions for activities occurring indoors and outdoors.
Required Application Materials:
- VLM Employment Application: https://thevlm.org/join/employment/openings/
- Cover Letter
- 3 Personal References
- Optional: Letter(s) of Recommendation
Application Deadline: Monday, January 15, 2018 by 11:59 p.m. EST
Virginia Living Museum
c/o Ms. Heather McElligott
524 J. Clyde Morris Blvd.
Newport News, VA 23601
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org • Fax: 757.534.7419
No phone calls or walk-ins, please.