Job Description: Exhibits Director
Status: FT, Exempt
General Statement of Duties
The Exhibits Director ensures the highest quality exhibits to support the Museum’s engaging mission to connect people to nature through educational experiences that promote conservation. The Exhibits Director is responsible for the design, planning, installation and logistics of museum’s permanent, traveling exhibits, and special projects. This position recognizes the capacity to achieve greater results by integrating skilled volunteers and leveraging their diverse knowledge and abilities.
- Proven leader. Strategic, positive, self-motivated professional customer –focused, problem solver.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Demonstrated ability to drive creative design through exhibit completion.
- Demonstrated imagination through creative/artistic design. Must have a sound knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in the production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Seven to ten years experience in three dimensional, interactive exhibit design, planning and building.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services.
- This includes customer needs assessments, meeting quality standards for services and evaluation of customer satisfaction
- Excellent organizational, time management and supervisory skills and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Working knowledge of graphic design and exhibit sign design. Ability to work with a wide range of materials including but not limited to wood, plastics, and metals.
- Must be able to clearly and professionally present thoughts and ideas through written and oral communication. Often using sketches and drawings.
- Working knowledge of various and alternate ways to inform and entertain a variety of guests. This includes knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; and learning and motivation.
- Ability to work with a wide range of materials including but not limited to wood, plastics, and metals.
- Excellent shop development, fabrication, painting, general repairs, and carpentry skills and experience.
- Neat, detail oriented and highly organized.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Be a positive, enthusiastic representative of the Virginia Living Museum.
- Maximizes the guest experience by researching, planning and managing all permanent and temporary exhibits, including installation, lighting, artifacts, interpretive signage, and other methods of conveying information.
- Review and approve the creation of exhibits to include the designs, concepts, and sample layouts based on knowledge of design principles and esthetic design concepts.
- Plans and creates displays that best showcase information and artifacts.
- Plan, direct and coordinate activates of staff and volunteers who design, create and breakdown exhibits, displays and signage.
- Manages project budgets, schedules, and resources.
- Catalogues, arranges and cares for objects used for displays and exhibits. Ensures all displays and exhibits are clean and in working order.
- Work with Senior Leadership on long range planning of museum special build projects and coordinating implementation of those initiatives.
- Provides a key role in grants development.
- Review/develop/deploy Museum policies related to the position.
- Strategically utilize and manage department volunteers and their applicable skills to strengthen the Museum’s mission and commitment to the community.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Essential Job Functions
- Must be able to work the occasional evening, weekend or holiday.
- Must be able to perceive detailed information through oral communication.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be able to work some weekends and holidays.
- Ability to lift and/or exert up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to move throughout the Museum’s building(s) and outdoor trail as needed.
- Must have visual acuity to be able to operate motor vehicles and/or equipment.
- Must be able to sit, stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crawl, reach, push, pull, lift, grasp, feel, and utilize repetitive motions.
- The candidate will be subject to outdoor environmental conditions such as heat, cold, wind, and humidity.
Supervision Exercised: Exhibits Staff
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. The Exhibits Director will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other related duties as assigned by the appropriate Supervisor/Director. The Virginia Living Museum reserves the right to update, revise or change the job description and related duties at any time.
Qualified applicants please submit a VLM application, cover letter, resume and references. No phone calls, please.