Job Description: Guest Experience Director
Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Department: Guest Experience
General Statement of Duties
The Guest Experience Director is responsible for creating exceptional guest experiences and maximizing revenue by connecting people to nature through educational experiences that promote Conservation. Leads admissions, museum programs, membership sales, reservations, and other services. This position recognizes the capacity to achieve greater results by integrating skilled volunteers and leveraging their diverse knowledge and abilities. The Guest Experience Director reports directly to the Chief Operating Officer.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, MBA preferred.
- Two years retail sales experience desirable.
- Five years of experience in management, supervision, customer service, budget preparation,
hiring, training/evaluation of personnel.
- Database management experience to include analysis and operations, computer savvy.
- Creative, results driven high performer with service orientation.
- Energetic, constructive attitude with ability to view opportunities from a variety of perspectives.
- Professional appearance, outgoing, and friendly. Able to communicate enthusiasm for the
museum and its programs.
- Must be bondable.
- Exceptional communication skills. Must be tactful and display discernment and discretion. Must
be able to handle potential confrontational situations.
- Must be able to remain calm, make sound decisions and provide clear directions in a crisis
- Must be First Aid certified or be able to be certified at museum expense.
- Ability to gracefully handle multiple tasks simultaneously, detail oriented. Must be able to deal
with several different types of memberships, various vendors and ticket sales for a variety of
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Prepare, execute, and evaluate an annual department plan that incorporates all areas of Guest Services, Membership and Museum Store.
- Manage admissions, membership, reservations and museum store by leading Guest
Experience Staff. This includes performing performance reviews, setting goals and ensuring
job descriptions are current.
- Conceives and implements appropriate manning strategies for Guest Services and Museum
Store. Develops a budget and can satisfactorily address any variances as the year progresses.
2. Be a positive enthusiastic representative of the Virginia Living Museum.
3. Enhances the guest experience.
- Promotes a guest-centric culture will all staff.
- Provides the leadership needed to ensure a welcoming and exceptional experience for our
- Provides a value for guests by leading a robust membership program, including membership
sales, fulfillment, member events, stewardship and database management and integrity.
- Drives daily communication with guests, ensuring responsive customer service and resolving
issues to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience.
- Ensures guests can easily make reservations and inquiries are responded to in a timely manner.
- Ensures the Museum’s phone greeting is easy to navigate, friendly and current.
- Manages the admission and revenue point of sale systems. Ensures employees are adequately
trained and use the systems appropriately. Stays knowledgeable regarding various options.
- Develops and executes exceptional non-educational public events
- Ensures duties required to promptly open and securely close the museum each day are
- Takes the lead for daily safety and security actions.
- Routinely surveys the museum and grounds for improvements to enhance the guest
experience. Reports findings to the COO.
- Plans for parking on days of heavy visitation and during events.
4. Maximize Museum revenue by meeting or exceeding membership, program sales goals, and reservation events.
- Uses data and awareness of community events to lead the scheduling of museum public events.
Creates an engaging master public event calendar.
- Reviews revenue and admission data to provide expert advice on museum programming.
- Leads upselling exceptional experiences.
- Ensures programs, events and reservations are entered correctly into the point of sale system,
ALTRU and with a timely, friendly manner.
- Responsible for the timely preparation of accurate Museum Statistic reports.
5. Provides general support for museum staff.
- Supports the Guest Services Manager as the central contact for emergency situations.
- Responds to general inquiries.
- Responsible for handling deliveries.
- Services on the Safety Committee.
- Ensures staff are trained and have supplies to respond to request for first aide assistance.
6. Other duties as assigned.
Essential Job Requirements
- Ability to work occasional evenings/weekends/overnight.
- Must be able to hear and speak clearly.
- Physical requirements include medium work, exerting up to 40 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Must be able stand for extended periods of time and move about on foot to accomplish tasks.
- Must be able to stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, reach, push, pull, lift, grasp, feel, and utilize repetitive motions.
- Must have close visual acuity to operate a motor vehicle and perform activities such as: preparing and analyzing data, transcribing, viewing a computer, and extensive reading.
- The position is subject to environmental conditions for activities occurring indoors and outdoors.
Supervision Exercised: Guest Services Manager and Reservation Coordinator
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee.
The Guest Experience Director will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other related
duties as assigned by the appropriate Supervisor/Director. The Virginia Living Museum reserves the right to
update, revise or change the job description and related duties at any time.
Qualified applicants please submit VLM application, cover letter, resume, and references.
No phone calls, please.
Fax: 757-534-7419Download VLM Application