Job Description: Guest Services Associate
Status: Part-Time, Non- Exempt, 29 hours or less/ Week (on-site)
Department: Guest Services
General Statement of Duties
As the first point of contact for our guests, this position is responsible for enthusiastically welcoming our guests and assisting them with ticket and membership sales at the Front Desk and retail merchandise in the Museum
Store. This position recognizes the capacity to achieve greater results by integrating skilled volunteers and
leveraging their diverse knowledge and abilities. The position is under the direct supervision of the Guest Services Manager.
- High School graduate or equivalent.
- Outgoing, friendly, service oriented. Able to communicate enthusiasm for the museum and its programs.
- Must be bondable.
- Must have a professional appearance.
- Exceptional communication skills. Must be tactful and display discernment and discretion.
- Must be able to remain calm in confrontational and crisis situations.
- Ability to gracefully handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Possess basic math skills and basic understanding of debits and credits.
- Basic computer skills and cash register experience helpful.
- Detail oriented. Must be able to recognize and function while dealing with several different types of memberships and ticket sales for a variety of events.
- Be First Aid certified or be able and willing to be trained.
- Must be able to accurately and efficiently perform data entry and perform duties assigned to maintain the integrity of the museum’s database.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Be a positive, enthusiastic representative of the Virginia Living Museum.
2. Enhances the Guest Experience:
- Promotes a guest-centric culture at the VLM.
- Welcomes each guest to the museum and assists them with purchasing tickets, merchandise,
memberships, and obtaining information. Provides resources such as, but not limited to,
wheelchairs, strollers, and Braille guides as needed.
- Respond to emergency situations and requests for First Aide. Associates will respond by
providing basic supplies or calling for professional help.
- Stays aware of all museum offerings in order to provide current and accurate information to
- Answers incoming calls to the museum on a multi-line phone system, providing correct and
current information in a helpful manner and routing calls to the proper departments as
- Perform duties required to open and close the museum and museum store each day.
- Ensures that the Front Desk, Museum Store and Lobby are presentable to guests.
- Solicits guest feedback.
- Provides expert advice to management on improvements to the guest experience.
3. Maximizes revenue and donations by selling membership, programs, retail products and asking
for donations at point of sale.
- Obtain the cash drawer from the acting manager each day and is responsible for all monies
collected. The total cash/credits obtained must be reconciled with the amounts recorded in
ALTRU and CounterPoint.
- Learn how to use, navigate, and input data in ALTRU and CounterPoint. The associate must
also maintain the integrity of the database in ALTRU and CounterPoint.
- Restocks and organizes museum store inventory.
4. Protects museum assets:
- Makes sure the museum is securely locked at the end of the day.
- Handles money is a safe manner.
- Stays aware as to what is happening in the lobby and responds to requests for assistance.
Reports any suspicious behavior to management ASAP.
- Provides support for urgent security issues such as lost children.
5. Trains and develops other associates and team members.
6. Other duties as assigned.
Essential Job Requirements
- Ability to work weekends & occasional evenings.
- Must be able to hear and speak clearly.
- Physical requirements include medium work, must be able to lift 40lbs.
- Must be able stand for extended periods of time and move about on foot to accomplish tasks.
- Must be able to stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, reach, push, pull, lift, grasp, feel, and utilize repetitive motions.
- Perform activities such as: preparing and analyzing data, transcribing, operating & viewing a computer, and extensive reading.
- The position is subject to environmental conditions for activities occurring indoors and outdoors.
Supervision Exercised: None
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. The Guest Services Associate will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other related duties as assigned by the appropriate Supervisor/Director. The Virginia Living Museum reserves the right to update, revise or change the job description and related duties at any time.
Qualified applicants please submit a VLM application, cover letter, resume and references. No phone calls, please.Download VLM application