Job Description: Horticulture Assistant
Status: Part-Time, Non- Exempt, 29 hours or less/ Week (on-site)
General Statement of Duties
The Horticulture Assistant is responsible for maintaining native flora within the Museum’s indoor and outdoor exhibits as well as maintaining the greenhouses and assisting with propagation programs. In addition, assists the Horticulture Team with planning and implementing the Museum’s spring and fall native plant sales. This position recognizes the capacity to achieve greater results by integrating skilled volunteers and leveraging their diverse knowledge and abilities. The Horticulture Assistant reports directly to the Horticulture Curator.
- BS degree in Botany, Horticulture or related field.
- Professional experience landscaping and green house operations.
- Experience in perennial and woody plant propagation.
- Thorough knowledge of horticultural practices.
- Thorough knowledge of indoor and outdoor plant cultivation and maintenance methods.
- Knowledge of plant pests, diseases, and their control.
- Experience in the safe use of landscape power equipment and hand tools.
- Ability to remain calm and provide clear direction in an emergency situation
- Ability to train volunteers.
- Initiative and good judgement.
- Communicate well and in a professional manner
Duties and Responsibilities
- Enhance Guest Experience as a positive, enthusiastic representative of the Virginia Living Museum.
- Welcome and entertaining questions from guests.
- Develop and providing engaging educational experiences for guests.
- Assist with projects and museum events when needed.
- Support monarch tagging program and perform public tagging and releasing.
- Care for Museum Assets:
- Work with the horticulture team in maintaining the high quality appearance of the horticulture exhibits and plants both inside and outside the Museum.
- General landscaping: pruning, weeding, watering, etc.
- Train and work with horticulture volunteers.
- Follow museum safety policies and procedures.
- Generate Revenue by:
- Propagate native plants for the spring and fall native plant sales.
- Maintain and expand plant sales utilizing signs, database, tags, and master handout.
- Reinforce social media (in coordination with Education Department) and volunteer coordination for plant sales.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Essential Job Requirements
- Must be able to work occasional evenings and weekends.
- Must be able to express or exchange ideas by means of the spoken word and perceive detailed information through oral communication.
- Ability to lift and/or exert up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to move throughout the Museum’s building(s) and outdoor trail as needed.
- Must have visual acuity to be able to operate motor vehicles and/or equipment.
- Must be able to sit, stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crawl, reach, push, pull, lift, grasp, feel, and utilize repetitive motions.
- The candidate will be subject to outdoor environmental conditions such as heat, cold, wind, and humidity.
Supervision Exercised: None
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. The Horticulturist will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other related duties as assigned by the appropriate Supervisor/Director. The Virginia Living Museum reserves the right to update, revise or change the job description and related duties at any time.
Qualified applicants please submit a VLM application, cover letter, resume and references.
No phone calls, please.