Job Description: Maintenance Technician
Status: Part-Time, Non- Exempt, 29 hours or less/ Week (on-site)
General Statement of Duties
The Maintenance Technician is responsible for performing highly diversified duties to install, troubleshoot, repair and maintain facility equipment, grounds and museum vehicles according to safety, predictive and productive maintenance systems and processes to support the achievement of the site’s business goals and objective, both during and after business hours. This position recognizes the capacity to achieve greater results by integrating skilled volunteers and leveraging their diverse knowledge and abilities. The position reports to the Senior Director of Life Support Systems and Construction.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 1-3 years’ maintenance experience
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to work with limited supervision
- Outgoing, able to greet and assist guests as needed
- Basic computer skills
- Must be able to read and interpret equipment manuals and work orders to perform required maintenance and service
Duties and Responsibilities
- Enhance the Guest Experience as a positive, enthusiastic representative of the Virginia Living Museum.
- Inspect the boardwalk, animal enclosures, Dinosaur Discovery Trail, Children’s Garden and Wason Green House for necessary repairs and promptly address safety issues.
- Keep museum property clean of debris to include parking lots and picnic areas.
- Perform maintenance/repairs:
- Plumbing and mechanical systems.
- Light preventative maintenance on HVAC systems (filters).
- Preventative maintenance on museum vehicles/golf carts.
- Monitor HVAC controls.
- Monitor lake levels and install flood gates when needed.
- Inspect facility lights and replace burned out bulbs.
- Be up to date on all alarm system functions to alarm/disarm and handle any issues with alarms.
- Visually inspect boardwalk, animal enclosures, dino exhibit, children’s garden and Wason Green House.
- Small project work including painting, woodwork repairs and refinishing.
- Be on call for spills / carpet clean up when janitorial staff is unavailable.
- Assist animal care in security and safety of animal enclosures
- Assist in setup/takedown of in house special events
- Perform any other duties assigned.
Essential Job Requirements
- Ability to work occasional evenings/weekends.
- Must be able to read and interpret equipment manuals and work orders to perform required maintenance and service.
- Must be able to use a variety of hand and power tools, electric meters and material handling equipment in performing duties.
- Physical requirements include medium work, exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Must be able stand for extended periods of time and move about on foot to accomplish tasks.
- Must be able to stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, reach, push, pull, lift, grasp, feel, and utilize repetitive motions.
- Must be able to pick up/remove bodily waste
Supervision Exercised: None
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by thisemployee. This Maintenance Technician will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other related duties as assigned by the appropriate Supervisor/Director. The Virginia Living Museum reserves the right to update, revise or change the job description and related duties at any time.
Qualified applicants please submit a VLM application, cover letter, resume and references.
No phone calls, please.