Job Description: Museum Store Buyer
Status: Part-Time, Non- Exempt, 29 hours or less/ Week (on-site)
Department: Guest Experience
General Statement of Duties
The Museum Store Buyer procures merchandise to be sold in the Museum Store that supports the museum’s mission of connecting people to nature through educational experiences that promote conservation. This position recognizes the capacity to achieve greater results by integrating skilled volunteers and leveraging their diverse knowledge and abilities. The position is under the direct supervision of the Sales Director.
1. High School Graduate, Bachelor’s Degree Preferred.
2. Prior purchasing/buyer experience preferred.
3. Minimum three years’ retail and customer service experience required.
4. Experience in a non-profit setting preferred.
5. Expertise in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) Able to operate computerized point-of-sale system, computer, electronic cash register, phone, and other equipment/systems as appropriate
6. Outgoing, friendly, service oriented.
7. Exceptional written and verbal communication skills. Able to communicate enthusiasm for the museum and its programs.
8. Ability to gracefully handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
9. Excellent organizational skills; Works closely with the Guest Services Manager to maintain storage areas and restock the Museum Store.
10. Dependable and responsible. Bondable.
11. Able to remain calm, make sound decisions, and provide clear directions in a crisis situation. Ability to handle potentially confrontational situations.
12. Must have a professional appearance.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Be a positive, enthusiastic representative of the Virginia Living Museum.
2. Enhance the guest experience by staying current with AZA guidelines and looking for appropriate merchandise to support the museum’s conservation education mission and revenue goals.
- Stays current with trends and networks with other professionals, including local artists
- Plans for and purchases merchandise according to upcoming exhibits and events.
- Prepares and issues purchase orders and contracts.
- Manages contracts and purchase orders for all vendors and artists. Schedules arrivals and expedites as necessary.
- Resolve accounting, purchasing and vendor contract resolutions through strong review and reconciliation processes.
- Assist with the intake, storage and inventory of merchandise.
3. Supports the Museum’s financial goals
- Works directly with the Sales Director to establish goals and meet sales goals. Creates reports as requested.
- Manages sales data such as turnover, margin, and investment in price reduction.
- Analyzes sales and adjusts purchasing strategy when needed.
- Advise and assist with merchandising of products
4. Other duties as assigned. Essential Job Requirements
- Ability to work occasional evenings/weekends/holidays.
- Must be able to hear and speak clearly.
- Physical requirements include medium work, exerting up to 40 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Must be able stand for extended periods of time and move about on foot to accomplish tasks.
- Must be able to stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, reach, push, pull, lift, grasp, feel, and utilize repetitive motions.
- Must have close visual acuity to operate a motor vehicle and perform activities such as: preparing and analyzing data, transcribing, viewing a computer, and extensive reading.
- The position is subject to environmental conditions for activities occurring indoors and outdoors.
Supervision Exercised: None
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. The Museum Store Buyer will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other related duties as assigned by the appropriate Supervisor/Director. The Virginia Living Museum reserves the right to update, revise or change the job description and related duties at any time.
Qualified applicants please submit VLM application, cover letter, resume, and references. No phone calls, please.
FAX: 757-534-7419Download VLM application