Job Description: Public Relations/Marketing Director
Status: FT, exempt
General Statement of Duties
The Marketing Director is responsible for world-class brand development, communication strategies and campaigns, advertising, marketing, and associated staff, both direct and indirect. This position recognizes the capacity to achieve greater results by integrating volunteers and leveraging their diverse knowledge and skills. The position reports to the Executive Director.
- Positive, enthusiastic Virginia Living Museum mission advocate.
- Proven leader: Strategic, positive, self-motivated professional, customer-focused and highly perceptive.
- 10 years marketing/communication leadership experience required, Master’s Degree preferred.
- Demonstrated abilities in both planning and tactics, budget management, negotiations and personnel management.
- Superior written, verbal, and listening communication skills.
- Non-profit organization experience is an asset.
Duties and Responsibilities
Develop and share a world-class brand and corporate identity!
Responsible for building mission impact by creating, implementing and measuring the success of:
- A comprehensive communications and public relations program to enhance the Museum’s excellent reputation, image and position within the marketplace, and facilitate internal and external communications to include Museum campaigns and materials, and annual/specialized marketing plans.
- All Organization communications and public relations activities and materials including publications, print/graphics, media relations, social media, client acquisition and so forth.
- Ensure articulation of Museum’s desired image and position, assure consistent communication of image and position throughout the Museum, and assure communication of image and position to all areas, both internal and external.
- Responsible for editorial direction, design, production and distribution of all Museum publications.
- Ensure media interest in the Museum and regular contact with target media and appropriate response to media requests. Oversee external contracts/services.
- Responsible for all Museum print and electronic materials such as letterhead, use of logo, brochures, etc.
- Develop, coordinate and oversee programs, technical assistance and resource materials to assist all Museum departments in the marketing, communications and positioning of their activities.
- Provide counsel to departments on communications and public relations.
- Ensure that the Museum regularly conducts relevant market research and coordinate and oversee this activity. Monitor trends, guest feedback.
- Stay abreast of technological, media and online platform advances and encourage new engagement approaches to communicate with diverse audiences.
- Leads projects as assigned, such as cause-related marketing and special events.
- Act as main contact and build collaborative relationships with community organizations, local leaders and government stakeholders to serve broad and diverse audiences.
- Represent the Museum at community programs and events.
- Manage, hire, supervise department staff, indirect staff and volunteer staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
Essential Job Requirements
- Ability to work occasional evenings/weekends.
- Must be able to hear and speak clearly.
- Physical requirements include medium work, exerting up to 40 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Must be able to stand, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, reach, push, pull, lift, grasp, feel, and utilize repetitive motions.
- Must have close visual acuity to perform activities such as: preparing and analyzing data, transcribing, viewing a computer, and extensive reading.
Supervision Exercised: Marketing staff: Media/promotions, graphics, web design
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. The position will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other related duties as assigned by the appropriate Supervisor/Director. The Virginia Living Museum reserves the right to update, revise or change the job description and related duties at any time.
Qualified applicants please submit a VLM application, cover letter, resume and references.
No phone calls, please.