Science Educator, Animal Programs
Status: Part-Time, Seasonal, Non-Exempt, 15 hours or less / Week (on-site)
General Statement of Duties
The Science Educator, Animal Programs is responsible for the presentation of large group live animal public programs for people of all ages during the summer. Regular weekend work is required. Specific animal handling and program training will be provided by VLM. This position recognizes the capacity to achieve greater results by integrating skilled volunteers and leveraging their diverse knowledge and abilities. This position reports directly to the Assistant Education Director.
- At least one semester of science or education classes at the collegiate level.
- Experience engaging large audiences, theater experience a plus.
- Education experience in a museum or similar informal science education facility desired.
- Willingness to handle a wide variety of live animal ambassadors, experience preferred.
- High energy, approachable, outgoing and enthusiastic personality.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Be a positive enthusiastic representative of the Virginia Living Museum.
- Welcome and engage guest.
- Present entertaining and educational live animal programs for public audiences of all ages in an education setting.
- Prepare for and clean up after interpretive programs.
- Contribute positively and professionally to a collaborative, innovative, and energetic work environment.
- Maintain and organize program supplies.
- Engage and oversee volunteers in completion of duties.
- Other duties as assigned.
Essential Job Requirements
- Available for 3 hour shifts either Sunday-Tuesday or Wednesday-Saturday.
- Job requires handling animals of all types, including invertebrates and snakes.
- Must be able to hear and speak clearly.
- Physical requirements include medium work, must be able to lift up to 40lbs. comfortably.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time and move about on foot to accomplish tasks.
- Must be able to stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, reach, push, pull, lift, grasp, feel, and utilize repetitive motions.
- This position is subject to environmental condition for activities occurring indoors and outdoors.
Supervision Exercised: None
Qualified applicants please submit VLM application, cover letter, resume, and references.
No phone calls, please.
Mail: Human Resources
Virginia Living Museum
524 J. Clyde Morris Blvd
Newport News, VA 23601