Job Description: Science Educator, Summer Camps
Status: Full Time, Seasonal, Non-Exempt, 37.5 hours or less / Week (on-site)
General Statement of Duties
The Science Educator, Summer Camps is responsible for leading PreK-6 camps during the summer. This position
recognizes the capacity to achieve greater results by integrating skilled volunteers and leveraging their diverse
knowledge and abilities. This position reports to the Senior Director of Education.
- At least two years of science or education classes at the collegiate level.
- Education experience in a classroom, museum or similar informal science education facility
- Knowledge of current preschool, elementary, and secondary education techniques.
- Excellent class management, organizational and time management skills.
- Willingness to handle a wide variety of live animal ambassadors, experience preferred.
- Outgoing, friendly and confident personality who enjoys working with people and is committed
to providing exceptional customer service and guest experiences. Ability to communicate
enthusiasm for the museum and its programs.
- Self-motivated with minimum supervision and detail oriented. Excellent oral and written
communication skills. Ability to gracefully handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Able to interact with a wide variety of people in a tactful and courteous manner.
- Must demonstrate good judgement, discretion, and discernment.
- Must be able to remain calm and give clear direction in an emergency situation.
- CPR & First Aid certified or willing to become certified at museum’s expense.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Be a positive enthusiastic representative of the Virginia Living Museum.
- Enhance the guest experience by providing engaging and fun programming by leading a variety
of summer camps ranging in ages from PreK to 6th grade.
- Prepare for and clean up after camps.
- Work in cooperation with other staff and volunteers.
- Contribute positively and professionally to a collaborative, innovative, and energetic work
- Maintain and organize program supplies.
- Strategically utilizes and manages volunteers and their applicable skills to strengthen the
Museum’s mission and commitment to the community.
- Other duties as assigned
Essential Job Requirements
- Available to work Monday-Friday.
- Must be able to hear and speak clearly.
- Physical requirements include medium work, must be able to lift up to 40lbs. comfortably.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time and move about on foot to accomplish tasks.
- Must be able to stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, reach, push, pull, lift, grasp, feel, and utilize
- This position is subject to environmental condition for activities occurring indoors and outdoors.
Supervision Exercised: None
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this
employee. The Science Educator, Summer Camps will be required to follow any other instructions and
to perform any other related duties as assigned by the appropriate Supervisor/Director. The Virginia
Living Museum reserves the right to update, revise or change the job description and related duties at
Qualified applicants please submit a VLM application, cover letter, resume and references.
No phone calls, please.
Download VLM application