Job Description: Volunteer Services Assistant
Status: Part-Time, Non- Exempt, 29 hours or less/ Week (on-site)
Department: Volunteer Services
General Statement of Duties
The Volunteer Services Assistant will support the day to day operation of the Volunteer Services Department, and enhance the effectiveness of Volunteer Services by providing administrative and programmatic support to the Director and Volunteer Coordinator. This position works collaboratively with fellow staff members. Also provides exhibit interpretation as needed in essential positions and requires a somewhat flexible schedule. This position recognizes the capacity to achieve greater results by integrating skilled volunteers and leveraging their diverse knowledge and abilities.
- Interest in volunteer management, with direct experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field preferred. (Any equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying.)
- A friendly, enthusiastic and outgoing personality; dependable. Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Tactful; patient; ability to deal effectively with a variety of volunteer questions or concerns; Ability to think quickly and make ethical decisions.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision; self-starter.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with volunteers, fellow departments, and the public; ability to work with wide variety of ages; Organizational skills and attention to detail, yet flexible; Able to manage multiple tasks and prioritize.
- Computer skills: Microsoft Word and other Windows programs. Familiarity with Volgistics a plus.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Be a positive, enthusiastic representative of the Virginia Living Museum.
- Assist in day to day operations of the office and oversight of volunteers; and when necessary, solely responsible for office functions.
- Screen, Interview, Select and Orient new volunteers.
- Administrative duties to include but not limited to volunteer scheduling, report writing, phone calls,
- Special projects that may include recognition, or off-site recruiting events.
- Provide coverage for touch tank, Wild + Well and trail closing as needed.
- Other duties as assigned, including laundering towels and smocks as necessary.
Essential Job Requirements
- Ability to work weekends & occasional evenings.
- Must be able to hear and speak clearly.
- Must be physically capable of meeting the demands of the position including standing and/or walking through the museum, or outdoors for up to two hours at a time.
- Must be able to maintain focus in a distracting environment with continuous interruptions.
- Some lifting of supplies and materials, up to 25 pounds.
- The position is subject to environmental conditions for activities occurring indoors and outdoors.
- Attend New Volunteer Orientation
- Touch Tank exhibit training
- On-the-job training
Qualified applicants please submit VLM application, cover letter, resume, and references by March 28. No phone calls, please.
Virginia Living Museum
Attn: Human Resources
524 J. Clyde Morris Blvd
Newport News, VA 23601