Group Service Projects
The Virginia Living Museum encourages community support in the form of volunteer service projects and attempts to coordinate volunteer days with interested groups whenever possible. If your organization has a group that would like to help our staff complete projects on a volunteer service basis, please submit a request from (see below).
Potential projects can be physically challenging, such as helping to keep the Museum grounds healthy by removing invasive plants or removing debris natural areas such as the lake. Less physical work may include stuffing envelopes or cutting crafts for children’s classes. We also have special events throughout the year where volunteers interact with Museum guests at craft and activities tables.
Requests may take 7-10 business days to process and as such we request applications be submitted 30 days in advance. Please be aware that we may not be able to accommodate every request. Submitting an application does not guarantee acceptance.
There are no group opportunities that involve working directly with animals, school group classes or exhibit interpretation. We do welcome individual applications for these positions.
Available Group Projects
Weeding individual display gardens for 2-4 hours. Must be able to bend, stoop and kneel, be willing to get clothing soiled, must bring own garden gloves.
Age requirements: 15+
# of volunteers: group of at least 2-4 people
Dates/times project is available: Pick from Tuesday – Friday from 9am-1pm or 1-4pm.
Help re-paint the gate and outside handrails located near the changing exhibits gallery and employee entrance. Must be a neat and tidy painter.
Age requirements: 16+ minimum of 4 adults with group
# of volunteers: up to 8
Dates/times project is available: Must be arranged with mutually agreeable time in conjunction with maintenance department; weather dependent
Rake leaves and mulch in the red wolf enclosure. Bring pitchforks, gloves and shovels.
# of volunteers: 4-6
Dates/times project is available: This project available approximately 2 to 3 times a year and must be arranged in advance and be done on a weekday morning 8-11am.
Refurbishing Dinosaur Discovery Trail
Add mulch and sand to designated areas. Help wife off and clean the dinosaurs. Bring rakes, shovels, and wheelbarrows.
Age requirements: 15+ minimum of 1 adult per 7 students
# of volunteers: 15-20
Dates/times project is available: This project is available once a year during the fall. This opportunity must be arranged in advance and be done on a weekday morning 8-11am. Please schedule at least one month in advance.
Constructing Enrichment Items for Animals
Using a similar process to paper machè you will make enrichment items to spark interest and encourage foraging among some of our mammals. Materials provided.
Age requirements: 13-18 with adult or adult volunteers
# of volunteers: up to 6
Dates/times project is available: This project is available 2 times per year.
Cleaning out the Raccoon Pond
Clean out silt and dirt from the bottom of the raccoon exhibit pond. This is a messy job but necessary for keeping our raccoons happy and healthy! Waders, buckets, and tools provided. Requires heavy and repetitive lifting.
Age requirements: 18+
# of volunteers: up to 4
Dates/times project is available: This project is available 2 times per year, in March and September. Specific dates/times TBA with the group and advance notice is required.
Night of the Living Museum
October 20 and October 21, 2017 from 4-8:15pm (4-10 people)
Interacting with Museum guests and helping children with their craft projects, direct outdoor and indoor games and activities with the Spider Lady and in the Pumpkin Patch for all ages during the event. This is a non-scary Halloween event for families with kids ages 12 and under – costumes and make-up must be family friendly! Ages 15+ only.
Noon Years Eve
December 31, 2017 from 10:45am to about 1:30pm (tentative times)
Daytime event for children to celebrate the countdown to 12 noon. Volunteers will be at various activity stations or crafts. Group of up to 10. Ages 15+ only.
Wish List Items
Collect items on the Museum’s Wish List. Newspapers (no glossy pages), plastic newspaper sleeves and towels (no holes) are used by the Curatorial Department. Please arrange drop-off in advance with the Volunteer Services Department.
Keep checking this page for updated project availability!
Group Volunteer Policies
Groups interested in volunteering at the Virginia Living Museum adhere to the following guidelines:
- Volunteers must be 15 years or older. Occasionally, some projects may accommodate younger participants. Certain special events require volunteers to be at least 21 years of age.
- For volunteers under the age of 18, the group must provide one adult chaperone to every 5 youths.
- Group volunteers must identify a group coordinator who is responsible for the safety and well-being of group members including providing the coordination and supervision for the group while volunteering.
- It is the responsibility of the group coordinator to obtain a signed parental consent form for group members under the age of 18, which must be on file with the group coordinator. Organizational forms may be used.
- The group understands that they will not receive any monetary compensation for their volunteer services.
- Volunteers cannot take photographs or video images of any area behind-the-scenes or not accessible to the general public without consent of a Museum Manager. If given permission to take media images behind-the-scenes, volunteers may not share those images via social media, including but not limited to Facebook, Flickr, and Instagram.
- Groups must adhere to the Museum’s dress code while on duty. Details will be provided after sign up.
Group Service Project Applications
Complete our online form or complete and email the Word document.Group Project Request online