May 15, 2015
The James River Garden Club, Newport News, has donated $500 to support the Children’s Garden at the Virginia Living Museum. Kay M. Hughes, garden club president (left) and Sally Sue Andrews, garden club project chairman (right) present the check to Page Hayhurst, VLM executive director.
The donation is part of the club’s ongoing support of garden projects at the museum, including the Virginia Garden and the Holt Native Plant Conservatory.
The Children’s Garden with its Nature Playground, Hobbit House and Children’s Learning Garden opened in 2013. It encourages young children to engage in healthy physical activity through interactive play in the hope that children will develop a love for being active outdoors that will continue to be an important and enjoyable part of their lives as they grow.
The Learning Garden has plants that attract pollinators, birds and butterfly caterpillars; plants that appeal to the senses and vegetables to promote healthy food choices.
The non-profit museum is located at 524 J. Clyde Morris Blvd., Newport News. For more information call 757-595-1900 or visit thevlm.org.