The Virginia Living Museum offers free stargazing beginning at sunset on the second Saturday of every month. Stargazing is weather dependent. Several telescopes are set up on the grounds and staff astronomers are available to help visitors identify objects in the night sky.
Due to the close proximity, guests are required to wear masks while operating the telescope.
NOTE: The evening also includes a planetarium program and several laser shows. Shows are $5 for VLM members, $8 for non-members.
Looking for some Saturday night fun? Start with a planetarium program. Then experience a sensory extravaganza as laser shows provide music to both the eyes and ears every second Saturday of the month. The museum has an incredible laser system that splashes brilliant high-color LED laser light all across the entire surface of the dome. It’s the most amazing light show you’ve ever seen! Plus, there’s music to suit every taste. Different bands are featured every month.
Cost: Members $5, non-members $8 per show.
November 12: Stargazing Night
We’ll be welcoming CNU’s Dr. Ryan Fisher and his students as they teach us all about gravitational waves with an interactive cool science show. This program is free for all audiences and starts at 6:30pm.
Please note: these programs will be occurring after the annual Oyster Roast (3-6pm) and do not require purchase of Oyster Roast tickets.
A live guided tour of the current evening sky with a staff astronomer.
Recommended for all ages.Virginia Skies tickets
Totally awesome! Let our lasers take you back to the days of leg warmers, big hair and excellent music! Fun for the whole family, you’ll rock on to music from great ’80s bands like New Order, The Cure and way more. Astonishing laser art is coupled with upbeat rock and pop songs from one of the most exciting periods in mainstream music: the ‘80s! Like, don’t miss it.
This program is family-friendly: Inappropriate song lyrics have been eliminated or blanked.
- Lunatic Fringe by Red Rider
- Everybody Wants to Rule the World by Tears for Fears
- One Thing Leads to Another by The Fixx
- Message in a Bottle by The Police
- Blue Monday by New Order
- Rio by Duran Duran
- Life in a Northern Town by The Dream Academy
- Never Let Me Down Again by Depeche Mode
- Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) by Eurythmics
- Just Like Heaven by The Cure
- She Blinded Me With Science by Thomas Dolby
- Birds Fly (Whisper to a Scream) by Icicle Works
- New Sensation by INXS
- Relax by Frankie Goes to Hollywood
Metal meets lasers! And it is intense! The theater shakes with awesome hits like Enter Sandman, Nothing Else Matters, Sad But True and so much more. You’ve never done metal ’til you’ve done it with lasers! Please note that we do not recommend this program for children under the age of 15.
Many of these songs contain lyrics some parents may find objectionable.
Please be aware that volume levels during our Metallica program will be high and the imagery can be intense.
- For Whom the Bell Tolls
- Ain’t My *****
- Nothing Else Matters
- Master of Puppets
- Unforgiven II
- Sad But True
- Enter Sandman
The Wall is best considered as a continual story rather than a collection of individual songs. It tells the tale of a rock star named Pink and his downward spiral into madness. To the listener, and indeed many critics, The Wall is a gripping and spellbinding musical journey – beautiful, haunting, powerful and thought provoking. It is a timeless classic, and one of Pink Floyd’s best, becoming the group’s second best seller behind Dark Side of the Moon.
Now coupled with spectacular and mesmerizing laser art, Pink Floyd’s classic 1979 epic about personal struggle takes on a unique look, weaving its story in one of the most popular laser shows ever produced! Visitors will become lost and spellbound as their senses join this timeless journey.
Please note that we do not recommend this program for children under the age of 15.
Some of these songs contain lyrics some parents may find objectionable.
Please be aware that volume levels during our Pink Floyd program will be high and the imagery can be intense.
- In the Flesh
- The Thin Ice
- Another Brick in the Wall (Part I)
- The Happiest Days of Our Lives
- Another Brick in the Wall (Part II)
- Goodbye Blue Sky
- Empty Spaces
- Young Lust
- Another Brick in the Wall (Part III)
- Hey You
- Comfortably Numb
- The Trial
December 10: Stargazing Night
Star of Wonder: Mystery of the Christmas Star
Experience the journey of the Magi around you. Since 1965, the museum has journeyed in the footsteps of the Magi. Over the years, the scientific thinking has changed, archaeology has revealed new clues, and our understanding of who the Magi might actually have been has grown. The show was completely revised in 2008 to offer a truly immersive look at the journey of the Magi while examining the latest clues and seeking once more to understand the appearance of the Star of Bethlehem.Star of Wonder tickets
A mix of classic and modern holiday hits! PLEASE NOTE: This list represents all possible song choices. Your laserist will choose which songs you’ll experience in your actual program.
- Sleigh Ride by Leroy Anderson
- Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy by Tchaikovsky
- Up on the Housetop by The Jackson 5
- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer by Burl Ives
- Winter Wonderland by The Eurythmics
- Deck the Halls by The Philharmonic Orchestra
- Jingle Bell Rock by Randy Travis
- White Christmas by Bing Crosby
- Christmastime by The Smashing Pumpkins
- Oiche Chiun (Silent Night) by Enya
- The Chipmunk Song by Alvin and the The Chipmunks
- All I Want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth by Spike Jones and His City Slickers
- Feliz Navidad by Jose Feliciano
- Rockin Around the Christmas Tree by Ronnie Spector and Darlene Love
- Frosty the Snowman by the Cocteau Twins
- Carol of the Bells by David Foster
- The Christmas Song by Nat King Cole
- All I Want for Christmas is You by Mariah Carey
- We Wish You a Merry Christmas by James Galway
A mix of legendary giants of Rock and Roll!
- Crazy Train by Ozzsy Osbourne
- Juke Box Hero by Foreigner
- Ramble On by Led Zeppelin
- Suffragette City by David Bowie
- Long Distance Runaround by Yes
- La Grange by ZZTop
- From the Beginning by Emerson, Lake and Palmer
- Tonight, Tonight, Tonight by Genesis
- YYZ by Rush
- Ace of Spades by Motorhead
Dark Side of the Moon
Recommended: ages 15 and above
From the very beginning of lasers, this album has represented the ultimate in laser show experiences. And it’s still true today. Join us for the seminal laser show experience with one of the most incredible albums of all time. Considered by many critics to be the album that brought the commercial breakthrough to Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon offers a mixture of psychedelic, rock and jazz sounds. Its sonic backdrops and atmospheric soundscapes combined with a unique assortment of sound effects yield an emotional resonance. When accompanied by a diverse and unusual display of laser art, the overall feel is a dramatic and haunting atmosphere.
Some of these songs contain lyrics some parents may find objectionable. Please be aware that volume levels during our Pink Floyd program will be high and the imagery can be intense.
- Speak to Me
- On the Run
- The Great Gig in the Sky
- Us and Them
- Any Colour You Like
- Brain Damage